Thursday, February 23, 2012

5 Most Meaningful Moments from 2011

I recently stumbled upon the 2012 Goddess Guidebook through Lime Tree Fruit's awesome Happiness Binder post. I scurried over to take a closer look and was so inspired I bought the printables to include in my Filofax Imperial Finchley A5. I'll post on that on another day. Honest.


One of the first activities in this workbook is to reflect upon 2011, celebrate it,  and to "let it go." I know for some of you this is a little too-new agey, but I like the thought of reflecting on the last year, honoring it, and saying goodbye to it. Learning from it wouldn't hurt, either.


That being said, reflecting upon the past year started me thinking (uh oh). I came to this blog topic through Listable Life, by the way.

Here are the 5 moments from 2011 that I consider to be the most meaningful to me:


1. DD #4 started preschool. I wasn't teary, sad, or torn up. At. All. I was excited, she was even more so, and I realized we are almost turning to major corner of having four school-aged children. Woo hoo!







2. DH returned to graduate school. This decision changed my Tuesday nights in the fall. The time he is away is not a big deal. The reality that he can pursue a career that will make him happier (fingers crossed) is. While my children hold my hearts by virtue of their birth, he is my partner in crime to muddle through this life together.

Cheesing for my dd




3. My brother and his family came in to visit. I have one brother that is a few years my senior. He lives in the beautiful state of Maine with his terrific wife and beautiful daughter. We able to spend real time together just hanging out, going to the zoo, having beers. It was just nice.




4. My husband's grandparents admitted they are getting older. My dh's grandparents helped raise him. They are in their early 80's now, and the last year has been a bad year for them. They have quickly shifted from busy bodies out each day in the community to staying home more and more, deteriorating physical health, and losing some mental acuity. Their researching of assisted living arrangements and giving the holidays up to their daughter, my mother-in-law, are Big Developments. Their life changes impact the dh and all of us so much, and it hurts the dh the most. Poor guy.


5. My mom had back surgery. My mom has had chronic, intense lower back pain for years. She postponed surgery once in 2009 due to insurance issues a second time in 2010 due to heart issues, and finally had the monster procedure in September, 2011. Her image of strength, tenacity, and resiliency was shook by the devastation of surgery, the intense pain of recovery, and the depressing reality that living without pain is simply unattainable. She reduced her pain but will never eliminate it. I'm grateful she has had some relief, but it is never easy to see your parents age. Ever.


Upon reflection, each had less to do with me and more to do with other people. Hmmn. Might have to plan in my binder to make more meaningful moments that are just mine. And while so much of a woman's life is not her own, whether she is a mother, a daughter, an auntie, a wife  a girlfriend, or what have you, there must be something that belongs solely to her.  Here's to making time for my magic in 2012. Cheers!


Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. Awe, look how cute she is all ready to go to school! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all deeply love and care for our family but we SO truly need to nurture ourselves to be able to support the other. Cheers to your magic 2012!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for making 2012 about you. Doing anything for myself (beyond yoga) is very hard for me. I've always put other people first. But there comes a time when you just need to focus on you!

    ReplyDelete