Ok, so I know people make these crazy, mile-long "bucket lists" of things to accomplish before one dies. What a splendid thought. I, though, hope death is far enough away from me (please!) that I want to write an 8 year bucket list. In that time my oldest will be preparing for college and I, ahem, will approach a lovely birthday milestone. Go me.
1. Master a second language. I have dabbled in Polish, Spanish, and French. I want to pick one and actually converse in it beyond "hello, " "my name is," and "where is the bathroom."
2. Travel to a real, ocean beach. I haven't seen one in years and really want to just sit there, read a book, and enjoy it.
3. Finish my dissertation. Oh, this one is this year. I had to put it, though.
4. Raise well-adjusted, healthy children. In 8 years my kids will be 18, 16, 15, and 13. I can only hope they turn out well. I'm doing my share, but I can always do better in this department.
5. Vacation with my dh alone. No kids. Just a couple of nights away. This beggar isn't picky. We hoped to get away for our 10th anniversary, but that wasn't feasible. I think this time window increases our odds exponentially. Maybe?
Thanks for reading!
Wow, this is smart! Maybe I'll go cull mine...
ReplyDeleteHey, how about Dutch? I can tutor your! LOL
ReplyDeleteTotally second the raising children part. My big girl is starting middle school this summer. Just a step further from the nest ...
On vacation with DH: we only managed 1 night so far. It's hard to "burden" somebody else with four kids (we did that the first time, and MIL nearly had a heart-attack!). Last time we divided them amongst three friends and the little one was spoiled by granny. I think next time we'll ask my parents to stay over. They are no-fuss-type of persons and especially my Dad can put his foot down when necessary. Those boundaries are exactly what kids need sometimes.
And it's really really lovely to have your DH all for yourself once in a while!
Bonjour...
ReplyDeleteGreat list, the learning a second language to be totally effective when you live somewhere is very hard. I get by, but you have to know some very odd phrases and words to be moderately good in a second language.
Steve
I can help you with your ocean trip - come to Long Island and we'll hit the beach! ;)
ReplyDelete@Steve--Bonjour! I do have Polish and Spanish-speaking neighbors to practice with but I agree it is a huge endeavor to attempt. Might as well try?
ReplyDelete@kanalt--That would be lovely! My dh and I talked recently about an east coast trip. Hmmn...thanks!
@Rori--Please do and post! :)
ReplyDelete@Jotje--I can just see my dh's face when I tell him I'm studying Dutch...he's bewildered by me often. ;)
Yes, farming out the kids is an option. We're lucky to get anytime out together as you know how it is. We shall see!